Sunday, April 24, 2011

Wk 4 - Art of Possibility

Photo by:  S.Martinez - 2010
Every flame that we ignite is unique to the child that it is lit in.  I love that one of the privileges of being a teacher is that we have the possibility to spark something special in a child's life.  For me this has always gone beyond the subject that I teach.  Letting students know that I genuinely care about them is sometimes all that is needed for that student to begin to have the confidence to attempt to learn and to explore in area that they previously would not venture to.

This week's reading helped to encourage me to light the fire and to reevaluate my framework, particularly my boundaries of who I am allowing to influence my opinion of myself and of situations.  I have to decide and make it known and established that in my classroom this is what takes place to not only my students but to my co-workers.  My students have, for the most part, never been the issue for me.  It has been who I have allowed to come in and shred my self-esteem while they go on and on about how great and wonderful they are, and that this situation would never have occurred in the classroom. 

These last few chapters in the book along with a situation that I had at work this past week really woke me up to taking control and dictating what type of comments that I would allow to be made to me by my co-workers and also to the fact that I really don't have to associate with my co-workers that are self-seeking and destructive to the people around them by always stirring up drama.  Am I venting, just a little perhaps.

But I am so thankful for the timing of this book in my life right now.

1 comment:

  1. Venting is fine (and essential). Then what? That's the important difference between staying stuck in a bad place and using the negative experience as a launching off point to something much better. I'm glad the book has inspired you.

    ReplyDelete