Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wk 1 - Comments to Alima Saffell McKnight

Alima's post:
We all know the saying hindsight is 20/ 20. Well, I am totally feeling that now! I started an action research project with the best of intentions- to help teachers better use technology. It was clear from the start that I was going to have a hard time getting teachers to participate in the professional developments (PDs) I was planning. I have been the technology teacher leader for 5 years, so I knew getting teachers to do things that are not required was difficult. Still, my lit review turned up many factors that might have been affecting their turn-out and I thought if I addressed those concerns and issues, they would come. Alas, they did not. As a matter of fact I am curious why the 6 that did show for the first 3 PDs showed at all considering they didn't show for Cycle 2. I think it might have something to do with me showing them how to use our district's then new online report card and their eagerness it "get it right" as opposed to now that they have the hang of it, I am less useful in their eyes. Anyway, I guess the point is to  not give up and try again when things/ stresses are less-- maybe closer to the end of the year or again in the beginning when they are fresh.
I do wonder had I changed my focus from teachers to students, what AR I could've done and what those outcomes could've been. I used iWeb this year and did a lot of what I was learning at Full Sail with my students. I could've tracked their feelings and performance and gauged whether it was better than previous years. Maybe it's not too late!

My comments:
I am so sorry to hear that your Cycle did not happen as planned.  Perhaps if this was offered during the summer before teachers are swamped down with everything else it would have had a different outcome.  I know that with all of the paperwork, planning, and everything else that happens after the start of a school year that it is easy to have the mindset of teach me what I need to survive and I'll try to learn the rest later which usually equate to never.  I would be curious also if students would have been different or more active than teachers.  What would be interesting is to have a cycle designed for students and another cycle designed for teachers.  Perhaps if both groups were learning they would generate interest in the other group to continue learning and improving their skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment