Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wk 3 - Comments to Tiffany Scanlan

My comments:
When I was reading your post I felt like you were writing about me.  I am so guilty of either being too serious and going down the wrong road on something or when I get nervous laughing at a very inopportune time. 
Something that I seem to tell my students on a daily basis (borrowed from a good friend) is "Take It Easy".  That seems to have become my motto this year for myself also.  So next time you are overworking, over analyzing or over anything (negative) just remember to take it easy :)

Tiffany's post:

The Rule of 6 is great! It is simple, to the point and there are no other rules to weigh it down. I have the habit of taking something simple and making it really complex and overworked, which then ends with frustration. I try not to take myself seriously but the calculating self sometimes works its way in and I over think things. There are a few people that know me well enough to tell when I am going down this road and are able to snap me back into focus, which I greatly appreciate.

I have also noticed other times when everyone others around me are being serious I will make a bad joke, quirky observation or lighthearted comment and am met with "the look" or dead silence. This is frustrating too because I then loose complete interest in what we are working on or discussing. If you can't have fun, or even a light moment, while working on something then why bother? I am not saying that every task should bring joy the entire time it is going on, but that people need to find some ray of light to make things manageable. For example, I wouldn't expect most people to be excited about doing their taxes (or wanting to giggle while figuring them...) BUT I know I find myself giddy when they are done....My ray of light, or Rule #6 moment, would be doing a funky dance and laughing like a little kids once the taxes are submitted and knowing I will not have to do that for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment